TUESDAY TOGETHER | 7-13-2021
- Richard Branson and Jeff Bezos – rushing into space
- 7/11 “Billionaire Richard Branson reaches space in his own ship.”
- What do you think about this?
- How is this a priority for the wealthiest?
- What do you think of those who ask why they are not seeking to solve poverty or hunger as a priority?
- A congregation that has clarity of identity knows well and is able to articulate its priorities.
- How clearly defined are your congregation’s priorities?
- Are others than the pastor able to articulate the priorities?
- What connection do those priorities make with neighbors?
COVID – RHEOSTAT
- Rheostat – “an electrical instrument used to control a current by varying resistance.”
- “Covid precautions are not an on and off switch, but more like a rheostat.” -D
- The Delta variant is now prominent in every state.
- The rate of infection is growing again in our region.
- People fully vaccinated are testing positive.
LISA ALLGOOD INFORMATION FROM MONDAY, JULY 12
- The Delta variant is in all 50 states and currently makes up more than 50% of new cases in the US and 80% of new cases in the Midwest
- The Delta variant is 60% more infectious than the original variant Alpha, and about twice as infectious (200%) as the original virus. That means it has and will continue to spread very rapidly, particularly in unvaccinated people.
- Those who have both doses of an mRNA vaccine are more than 80% covered against Delta. Those who only have one shot are about 30% covered. The J&J shot is also effective at about 65% coverage.
- The Delta variant has shown that it can evade certain elements of the vaccine.
- New COVID cases in the US are above 20,000 per week for the past several weeks. Hospitalizations and deaths are also increasing in 42 states.
- 99% of deaths are in unvaccinated people.
- The Delta variant has infected some vaccinated individuals. Generally symptoms are mild but they can still be infectious.
- Globally, although this varies greatly by country and region, 25% have received one dose and 12% have received two doses.
- Spikes are beginning globally, again primarily in unvaccinated individuals.
- How are you experiencing this time?
- What rheostat like experience are you having with this?
REAL TENSIONS CHURCH LEADER FEEL
Cary Nieuwhof | “5 Very Real Tensions Every Small to Mid-Sized Church Leader Feels”
- THE DESIRE TO KEEP THE CHURCH ONE BIG FAMILY.
- “This pressure is huge. …The reality is even when our church was 40, those 40 people didn’t know each other—really.”
- “The goal is not to create a church where everyone knows everyone. Create a church where everyone is known.”
- What have you done or are you doing to create a church where everyone is known?
- How might talking about the church as one big family not well serve the church?
- THE PEOPLE WHO HOLD POSITIONS DON’T ALWAYS HOLD THE POWER.
- “…but often there are people—and even families—whose opinion carries tremendous weight.”
- “This misuse of power is unhealthy and needs to be stopped.”
- “When the people who are gifted to lead get to lead, the church becomes healthy. When we got healthy, we grew.”
- How have you experienced this dynamic, what did you do or not do with it? Why did you choose action or inaction?
- THE PASTOR CARRIES EXPECTATIONS NO HUMAN CAN FULFIL.
- “Many small church pastors are actually more burnt out than large church pastors.”
- “The key here for those who want to grow past this is to set clear expectations of what you will spend your time on.”
- What tactics have you employed to put boundaries around your capacity, time, and expectations?
- What do you do when others disagree with your choices?
- TRADITION HAS MORE PULL THAN VISION.
- “The past has a nostalgia to it that the future never does.”
- “The challenge for the leader is to cast a vision that is clear enough and compelling enough to pull people from the familiar past into a brighter future.”
- What do you do with members or leaders that want to live in the past when it comes to nostalgia and your church?
- How does “Clarity of Identity” help you pull people into a bright future?
- THE NATURAL DESIRE TO DO MORE NOT LESS.
- “Often the key to reaching more people is doing less.”
- “By doing a few things well and creating steps, not programs, you will help more people grow faster than almost any other way.”
- “Complexity is the enemy of progress.”
- What does progress look like for you? How is it/is it not connected to growth?
- If you were to name a singular focus or target for your church, what would it be?