The Disaster Response Team for Tropical Florida Presbytery does more than come together with chain saws and muck out kits after a major storm. The Response Team helps the churches and congregations within our Presbytery prepare, educate and take care of their communities for all types of disasters; natural and man-made.
The team will help evaluate the structures on the campus of the church, help develop a Disaster Plan for each congregation and provide preparation training for the congregation and the neighbors they serve.
We ask each congregation to appoint a representative to the team to act as the church liaison and contact point in the event of an emergency. Trainings are available on church site or in Presbytery-wide gatherings. Team meetings will be held in a central location with conferencing ability to make it accessible for all. A pre-Hurricane Season session will be held in late April- tentative date April 25, 2020.
Become a Team Member
- Congregational Disaster Response Coordinator(s) selected and trained. (3 year term)
- Congregational Directory updated at least quarterly. (Including e-mail addresses.)
- List of congregational members with special needs noted and updated annually Insurance Policies reviewed annually and saved in multiple locations.
- Financial and Session records saved electronically and stored in multiple locations monthly.
- Inventory of physical plant made and updated annually. Video record recommended.
- Consultation with local ARC and EMA re: possible shelters in the area.
- Consultation with local EMA re: possible disaster scenarios. Develop plans for each.
- Share emergency kit information with congregation. Kits can be assembled and distributed by groups within the church to elderly and special needs congregation.
- Coordinate with local/state VOADs to ascertain response partners and roles of each.
- Determine if the physical plant can be used as an emergency shelter, point of distribution, etc.
- Develop a communication system within the congregation (i.e. phone tree,Shepherds, etc.)
- Familiarize the congregation with Presbyterian Disaster Assistance and the Disaster Response Ministry of the Synod of South Atlantic.
- Subscribe to Mission Mosaic (free) from PDA.
- Help create a network of response throughout the Presbytery.
Questions or Concerns?
Call Ken McKenzie, Synod Disaster Response Coordinator